Banking Skills Academy
This learnership programme provides unemployed matriculants and graduates in South
Africa an opportunity to gain employment experience in the financial services industry.
The Banking Skills Academy is a 12-month programme giving these youth exposure to
various entry level roles within Standard Bank branches and offices throughout South
There are entry criteria and successful candidates sign a 12-month fixed-term employment
contract as well as a learnership contract.
They receive a learner allowance of R2 500 a month (as opposed to a salary) for
the duration of their programme. When they successfully complete it, candidates
obtain a recognised National Certificate in Banking (NQF level 4).
What are the qualifying criteria?
For consideration, a candidate must
- Be aged 18 to 30 years
- Be able to speak, read and write English
- Have completed matric with a pass in mathematics, maths literacy or accounting
- Be computer literate
- Not be permanently employed
- Not be studying at any other institution
- Not be registered on any other learnership
As part of the application process, we will check the candidate against the following:
- Register for Employees Dismissed
- Credit record
- Any criminal record
- Reference checks with previous employers (if relevant)
- Their educational qualifications
- Proof of South African citizenship, residency or work permit
How to apply
The first step is to complete the online application form. We cannot consider applications
received in any other manner. There is also an online assessment to be completed
that requires a pass mark of 60%.
Applicants who pass this assessment will be contacted to do further competency based
assessments to check whether they’d be suitable for the various roles they’d perform
during the learnership.
A face-to-face interview is the final step in the process.