Achievements and milestones for 2022
We are proud of our hard work and commitment shown this year, and how the dreams and ambitions of our clients have been made possible in new ways.
If we can do all of this, imagine what we can do for you.
African Banker Awards
- African Bank of the Year
- Bank of the Year in South Africa
Global Finance World’s Best Banks
- Best Bank in Africa
African Global Funds Awards
- Best Banking and Custody Provider: Sub-Custodian
- Best Derivatives Clearing Provider
- Best Securities Lending Provider
- Best CIS (Collective Investment Scheme) Trustee Service
Brand Finance World’s Top 500 Bank Brands
- Africa’s Most Valuable Bank Brand (USD1.583 billion)
Banking Tech Awards
- Trader Direct: Best Contribution to Economic Mobility in Banking/Finance for SMEs
- OneFarm Share: Best FinTech for Good by Financial Institutions
EMEA Finance Achievement Awards
- Best ESB Bond House
- Best Financial Institution Green Bond in EMEA: Standard Bank’s ZAR1.444bn Tier 2 assurance
- Best Restructuring House in Africa
- Best Sustainable Refinancing in EMEA: Equities Property Fund's multi-currency bond and loan facilities
- Best Syndicated Green Loan House
EMEA Finance Treasury Services Awards
- Best Trade Finance Services in Africa
EMEA Finance African Banking Awards
- Best Financial inclusion in Africa: OneFarm Share
- Best Green Finance Bank in Africa
- Best Local Bank in South Africa
- Best Debt House in South Africa
Euromoney Awards for Excellence
- Best Bank for Wealth Management in Africa
Euromoney’s Real Estate Survey 2022
- Ranked 1st in South Africa
Finnovex South Africa Awards
- Shyft: Excellence in Fintech – Payments
Global Finance Sustainable Finance Awards
- Outstanding Leadership in Sustainable Finance in Africa
- Outstanding Leadership in Social Bonds in Africa
- Outstanding Leadership in Transition/Sustainability-Linked Loans in Africa
- Outstanding Leadership in Sustainable Infrastructure Finance in Africa
Global Finance World’s Best Trade and Supply Chain Finance Banks
- Best Trade Finance Provider in Africa
Global Finance World’s Best Sub-Custodian Bank
- Best Sub-custodian Bank in Africa
- Best Sub-custodian Bank in South Africa
Global Finance World's Best Trade and Supply Chain Finance Banks
- Best Trade Finance Provider in Africa
Global Finance World’s Best Treasury and Cash Management Banks
- Best Bank in Africa
- Best Bank in South Africa
Global Finance World’s Best Supply Chain Provider
- Best Bank in Africa
Global Private Banker and The Digital Banker Global Private Banking Innovation Awards
- Best Private Bank in Africa
Intellidex Top Private Banks and Wealth Management
- 5th In Top Private Banks and Wealth Managers in Large Institutions
LeFonti Global Awards
- Wealth and Investment: Best Private Bank
- Wealth and Investment: Best Private Bank for Innovation
Marketing Achievement Awards
- The Google Excellence in Digital Brand Marketing: Personal Lending campaign
- Excellence in Strategic Sponsorship Marketing: Standard Bank Top Women Virtual Summit & Awards (Silver)
- Excellence in Internal Marketing
- Standard Bank and Tradeway for the Siyatablaza Campaign (Silver)
New Generation Awards
- Shyft: Silver Winner for ‘Most Innovative App Developed by a Corporate’
- Shyft: Silver Winner for ‘Best Use of Technical Innovation’
- Shyft: Gold Winner for ‘Best Customer Experience of the Year’
PWM The Banker Global Private Banking Awards
- Outstanding Global Private Bank: Africa
- Outstanding Wealth Management Technology: Initiative Front End
- Outstanding Wealth Management Technology: Initiative Back End
- Best Family Office
PMR Africa Diamond Arrow Awards
- Fleet Management Providing Fleet Cards to the Private Sector
- Fleet Management Providing Services to the Private Sector: Material Handling Equipment (forklifts, conveyors, carts etc)
- Fleet Management Providing Services to the Private Sector: Medium and Heavy Motor Vehicles
- Fleet Management Providing Services to the Private Sector: Passenger vehicles and light commercial vehicles
SAGEA - South African Graduate Employers Association Awards
- The Overall Employer of Choice
- Employer of Choice in Commercial and Retail Banking
- Best Recruitment Service Award
South African Listed Tracker Awards (SALTA)
- 1invest Golf EFT: Best Capital Raising, 3-Years Foreign Non-Equity ETFs
- 1nvest S&P 500 ETF: Best Tracking Efficiency, 3-Years Foreign Equity ETPs
- 1nvest Rhodium ETF: Best Total Return Performance, 3-Years Commodity, and Currency ETPs
- 1nvest S&P500 Info Tech ETF: Best Total Return Performance, 3-Years Foreign Equity Index-Tracking ETPs
- 1nvest Rhodium ETF: Best Total Return Performance, 5-Years Commodity, and Currency ETPs
The Banker Top 1000 World Banks Ranking
- Ranked 1st in Africa by Tier 1 Capital
- Ranked 1st in South Africa by Tier 1 Capital
- Ranked 1st in South Africa by Total Assets
- Motus and Standard Bank secure SA’s firstStandard Bank and Motus Holdings Limited Partner in SA’s First ZAR-based based Automotive Sector Syndicated Sustainability-Linked Facility.
- Standard Bank and British International Investment partner with Scatec and H1 Holdings to close South Africa’s largest renewable energy PV and battery storage project.
- Standard Bank partners with SOLA Group, African Rainbow Energy, and Tronox SA in the first sizable renewable energy mining transaction.
- Standard Bank partners with Seriti in its acquisition of Windlab Africa.
- Standard Bank and Woolworths partner to successfully complete R600-million sustainability funding deal.
- R5b Injection brings fibre to SA Communities.
- Standard Bank partners with Grit in the Standard Bank arranges largest syndicated Sustainability-Linked Real Estate transaction Debt Facility in sub-Saharan Africa for Grit Real Estate Income Group.
- Shoprite takes out the biggest sustainability loan and the first green loan in the retail sector.
INNOVATIONS AND SOLUTIONS
- Melville Douglas
As part of Standard Bank Group, Melville Douglas has set out to incorporate Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) considerations across its entire business. But a key differentiator for our business will be providing options for investors who want to invest for impact. Our impact investment approach and the Global Impact Fund identifies sustainable secular growth themes and leverage our investment philosophy to identify quality companies, who must be able to demonstrate that they are driving a positive sustainable impact through the lens of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs).
- Trade Barometer
Africa’s most comprehensive trade index. As Africa’s largest bank, we are committed to driving the continent’s growth and are constantly on the lookout for ways to leverage our presence and expertise to inform and grow the continent’s trade ecosystem. We’ve created the Africa Trade Barometer - combining on-the-ground research with third-party data to deliver unparalleled insights and analyses, showcasing trends and opportunities in trade across 10 key African economies.
- Thrive – Powered by Standard Bank
A platform that connects people and brands by enabling the easy flow of goods, payments, and insights between shoppers, store owners, and brand suppliers. Through Thrive we are truly activating our client's ecosystem and bringing our platform business to life. Also especially unique is that the platform integrates both store owners and brand suppliers, offering specific services that are valuable to both parties.
A career success platform designed to empower the youth to realise their career potential and succeed in the modern economy. Opportunities to gain access to innovative career assessments to learn about their strengths, personality, and best-suited career path, helping them easily explore a variety of opportunities. Youth can benefit from skills courses to increase their employability and get high-quality CVs.
- Empowering African women through social bonds
A sustainable finance offering, which includes a variety of social bonds dedicated to financing mortgage loans focusing on affordable housing for women borrowers. Alignment with the UN Development Goals was one of the drivers behind the creation of the African Women Impact Fund, in partnership with the UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), UN Women, the Office of the Special Envoy on Women, Peace, and Security of the African Union Commission, and the African Women Leadership Network. The African Women Impact Fund (AWIF) Initiative aims to provide capital, operational support, and a structured development programme.
Enjoy the ease and convenience of renewing your expired permit or passport through Xpatweb. We are the only bank to have a visa and permit renewal service for the diaspora.
- Shyft P2P (Peer-to-Peer)
An industry first that now allows you to instantly send not only ZAR but any currency on the app to any Shyft user. This service is free and is also available to non-Standard Bank Customers.
INVESTING IN EDUCATION
Feenix breaks the R100 million mark in donations
Our investment in and support of education makes dreams possible.To date, the Feenix platform has raised R154.42m and impacted 3141 lives.
- Universities South Africa (USAF) Entrepreneurship Development
Our investment in the USAF Entrepreneurship Development in Higher Education (EDHE) programme has led to the establishment of Economic Activation Offices (EAO) at 10 South African public universities. EAOs prepare university students for entrepreneurship, helping young South Africans identify independent business opportunities and reducing dependence on the country’s constrained job market. As part of the Bank’s education initiatives for 2022 and beyond, the group is looking to enable and equip young entrepreneurs with the right tools and support to actively develop and grow their own businesses.
Enabling a love for mathematics, we have entered into an agreement with Matific - an award-winning digital mathematics solution that provides rich, engaging, and fun games and activities to raise mathematical standards for primary schools.